Rental Tips, Rules, and Regulations

Rooms, gymnasiums, and swimming pools are rented on the basis of their availability, and advance reservation is required. Before renting a room(s), gymnasium, or swimming pool, be aware that there are rules and regulations you must adhere to. Here are a few of them.

  • No alcohol is allowed in or around the assigned premises without written permission from the Department. (additional fees apply)
  • No smoking is allowed inside the facility or in any of our parks
  • No indecent or illegal conduct of any kind is allowed
  • Gambling is prohibited on Parks property
  • Parking is allowed in legally marked areas only. Illegally parked vehicles may be towed.

So that we can maintain the quality of our buildings and keep our maintenance costs as low as possible, we ask your cooperation in keeping some activities out of certain rooms. Please Note that depending on the nature of your event, there may be additional requirements for facility usage including but not limited to:

  • Additional permits
  • Use fees
  • Insurance
  • Percentage of revenue 

Confirmations and Payment 

We make room rentals available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may rent the facility during hours not filled by Department or Advisory Council activities and programs. These programs are scheduled on a quarterly basis. We will confirm your rental as soon as we have filled out, and you have signed, the Facility Use Rental and Agreement Forms, and you have submitted your payment. At that time we will give you copies of all these documents. No other letter or materials will follow. If you have any questions, please contact the staff at the facility where the rental will take place.

You may pay for facility rental by cash, credit card, check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to the City of Seattle. If payment is made by a personal check with insufficient funds in the account, a $20 fee will be added to the total and the terms of the permit are canceled until the permittee pays the amount due. Check with the staff at the facility for your deposit and payment due dates.          

Tips for a Great Event

  • Plan ahead. You may reserve the facility three months ahead for regular rentals and up to one year ahead for ceremonies. You are more likely to get the facility and date you want if you plan ahead.
  • Provide details. The more our Parks and Recreation staff know about your event, the better service and support we can provide for you. Remember all fees must be paid in full at the time of booking. Facilities cannot be held or reserved without full payment.
  • Don't assume. Spell out your expectations in detail. Miscommunication can cause problems.
  • Allow enough time for your setup and cleanup. Both are required for a successful event. 

Alcohol and Events

The Park Code prohibits liquor in our parks and facilities unless you have received permission to serve it. The State Liquor Act and Criminal Code covers all of our facilities regarding alcohol consumption. This statute allows alcohol to be served under certain circumstances with the permission of Seattle Parks and Recreation.

Serving Alcohol Outdoors

In general alcohol outdoors is not allowed in parks, the one exception is a beer garden as a portion of a larger special event.  You can find more information related to obtaining a special event permit by visiting the Special Events Office website.

Serving Alcohol at an Indoor Facility

Download our information about serving alcohol at events 
If you intend to serve alcohol, you must state that in your paperwork and pay the additional alcohol-related fees when you pay for your reservation. Approval to serve alcohol is contingent on your completing these two steps within two weeks of your rental date:

  1. A banquet permit is required to allow the service and consumption of liquor at a private event, invitation only, or gathering in a public place or club. A copy of this permit will be due to the South Lake Union Event Scheduling Office 10 business days prior to event. For more information and inquiry on how to obtain banquet permit visit the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Control Board website.
  2. Provide a certificate of liability for $1,000,000 co-naming the City of Seattle. If selling alcohol renter must provide $2 million dollar liquor liability insurance. Proof of insurance is required 15 business days prior to event date. More information on these provisions is available when you register.

Parks and Recreation

AP Diaz, Superintendent
Mailing Address: 100 Dexter Ave N, Seattle, WA, 98109
Phone: (206) 684-4075
Fax: (206) 615-1813

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Parks and Recreation

Healthy People, Thriving Environment, Vibrant Community