4 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
Contact Us
General Contact Information
Native plants and leaves
Native plants and leaves

About

Located on the eastern shore of the Duwamish River, this is an undeveloped park property. The property is adjacent to a street end that was developed as a wildlife habitat and a public viewpoint. The site includes a historic (inactive) pump station building, which is an integral part of the Georgetown Steam Plant. This park represents one of very few green space and habitat restoration opportunities on the eastern shore of the Duwamish River between Boeing Field and Elliott Bay.

Three agencies (Seattle Parks and Recreation, Seattle Dept of Transportation and Port of Seattle) own property at the site and have been working closely with a resident-led work group to envision a new park site that includes in-water and upland restoration, new active and passive recreation opportunities, and water access. In addition, there will be interpretation information about the Georgetown Pump Station; a landmark structure on the site. This concurrent planning and design phase will promote a more integrated and seamless design that better accomplishes the recreation and restoration goals envisioned by the community.

For more information about this planning, please contact, Tizai Mauto at, Tizai.Mauto@seattle.gov or (206) 733-9604

A community-initiated acquisition funded by the Pro-Parks Levy Opportunity Fund originally acquired this property for parkland. The site will provide opportunities to educate Seattle residents about the interesting history of the Duwamish River and Georgetown. The Georgetown Steam Plant was originally built on pilings on the shore of a Duwamish River oxbow in 1906, and river water was used for the boiler and condensers. In 1917, the Duwamish River was straightened, the oxbow was filled in, and lines from the steam plant were extended to the pump station at this "Gateway North" site, on the current shore of the Duwamish, a mile southwest of the historic steam plant.