Damage Recovery and Restitution

In a criminal case, if the defendant is found guilty or pleads guilty, the court may order restitution as part of the sentence. Restitution can include any out of pocket expenses directly related to the crime such as property damage, medical or counseling expenses, and future medical expenses. The defendant may request a hearing to argue against any restitution claims. In order to receive timely payments and updates, please keep our office informed of any changes to your address.

Can I get help paying for losses as a direct result of this crime?

You can apply for State of Washington Crime Victim Compensation to cover medical, dental, and counseling bills that are a direct result of this crime. Crime Victims Compensation is the agency that determines eligibility and it can be contacted at (800) 762-3716 or reached online.

You can begin a civil law suit. If the damages and pain and suffering are under $10,000, you can file a suit in King County's Small Claims Court. The phone number for Small Claims Court is (206) 296-3550. To file a suit requesting damages of more than $10,000, you will need an attorney experienced in this kind of case. You can call the Lawyer Referral Service at (206) 267-7010 for the names of attorneys near you.

City Attorney

Ann Davison, City Attorney
Address: 701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2050 , Seattle , WA , 98104-7095
Mailing Address: 701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2050 , Seattle , WA , 98104-7095
Phone: (206) 684-8200
Contact City Attorney

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from City Attorney

The City Attorney heads the Law Department and is responsible for supervising all City litigation. In addition, the City Attorney supervises a staff of Assistant City Attorneys who provide legal advice and assistance to the City's management and prosecute violations of City ordinances.